Monday, April 20, 2015

Remembrance

There were ants congregating
around a drop of ice cream
on the sidewalk.
It reminded me of the masses of people
who seem to want to take pieces of me away,
but the majority of my sweetness
is held in one person's hands.
Since I've been so hard to handle,
sometimes words and expressions spill out.

There were cars idling on an unstable bridge.
They waited, somewhat impatiently-
while the new one was being built.
It reminded me of how help can be burned away-
as we grasp for something better.
I could have a chain link of hands,
but sometimes there's only one-
you really want to hold.

There were dead roses
gathering dust in a dollar store vase.
It reminded me of dry leaves under my feet,
and the walk that used to make my heart pound
even though it had little worth to you.
Nevertheless, I still hang around.

There was a leak at the sink.
Constantly dripping and filling
the background noise.
It reminded me of how upsetting it is
to repeat myself when no one listens
and I feel like a nuisance.
Sorry, there are parts of me that need to be repaired.

There were tiny drawings
haphazardly on every page
of my writing.
It reminded me of the ridiculous way
I thought you might remember
some things about me.
Because you are the artist,
and I am the writer.
Most of these words are about you.
Draw upon that.

There was a lady similar to the
likes of me except for her coldness
in character.
It reminded me of the mirror
that frosted over in my own home
during the winter when I lost heat,
and all the people I thought highly of
looked away.

There was an imbecile man
lingering vagrantly-
staring maliciously-
while all other friends and strangers
seemed to get along just fine.
It reminded me of how in fields of wild flowers
nodding in the wind
there can still be thorny seeds
that attach and follow you.

There are frequent daily thoughts
and they collaborate as a reminder.
Joy, sorrow..
Pain, loss...
Love, indifference...
They all seem to strike the balance.
Dragging me down, or whisking me away.
There's quite a lot of thinking.
The synchronicity of life plays tricks
and the universe shares knowledge
I try to stifle with
mindless dribble.
For all other seconds
that I cannot tame my mind
I have remembrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment