Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Cold Night

Golden leaf like the moon-
Pale, lifeless, but still in motion.
I dreamt of the spinning loom,
of sequined starlight that was knit across the dark sky.
Memories are keeping me warm,
despite this cold night.
Wishing I could transform,
tattered pictures and daydreams into reality.
The cold is harsh: fleeting on some days, and then returning violently-
especially, and quite ironically, the days I missed you.

The frosted car windows are being scraped,
by early morning workers as steamy breath escapes their lips.
I fashion myself a blanket cape,
as I look and tap the wall thermostat.
The sparkling shimmer of the lawn,
had me contemplating other things that shine:
Brass bells, glittered children's drawings, sunkissed dew at dawn-
sugar cookies, handsome eyes, the tinsel that seemed to be everywhere except where it should.

Seasonal decorations adorn matchbox houses.
Their lights twinkle into patterns that seemed to follow my heartbeat.
Wild north wind blows and flounces,
forgotten mail, lost scarves, and tree trimmings down the snow covered street.
Footprints in the powder remind me again how I am alone.
For if comrades and lost loves stayed by my side, I could always feel an eternal glow.
I have to wear layers of sweaters that hug my body like seafoam,
since the doldrum of this beautiful season offers no tender arms for me to rest in.
If the cold night could bring us together,
I'd lock and bar the doors so comforting sidekicks would share all of our heat.

Again I watch the lifeless moon.
The stars never leave her presence.
Staying together through ecstasy or doom-
I would love to be weaved together in such a way.
Diamonds in pockets... not pennies that spill onto my bed.
Magnificent cold winter's night isn't very kind to me.
Warmth has to come from my dreams instead.













No comments:

Post a Comment