Monday, December 2, 2013

RevRock Article


Been involved in a Zine for a few months now.  Here's the article I wrote for the fall issue.


Internet:  The woes of the Stubbornly Creative
By Anne Krajnak
I am a backwards person by choice.  I never seem to do what everyone else is doing.  I always figured that it would make me a more distinctive person and as an artist, viewed as more of an original.  But lately it seems to me that more people want to just be creative only as far as going onto pinterest and looking for an "idea".
Looking for an idea.  Oh gosh, what a quest that can be sometimes.  It is a lot of work and I feel for many "creative" people it has just become easier to type a few words into your search engine and pick what you're going to make next.  Where was the creativity in that?  I know many would say to me, "I wasn't sure how to work with that medium so I googled it", or "I couldn't figure out how that was constructed".  I agree that the internet is a wonderful and highly accessible learning tool.  You can learn to do just about anything but I have to ask:  are you learning or copying?  There is a difference.
Do you remember childhood art classes at school?  I'd be willing to bet you can recall a student with special talent creating a masterpiece and shortly after everyone in the class is making the same thing.  So did those kids really learn how to draw/paint/sculpt..ect.. or did they just take the easy way out, went through the motions, and then just expressed how their version is better.
So how does an Artist get a creative unique idea anyway?  If the creative news feed on facebook is starting to get a little redundant to you, here are some of my personal exercises to boost creativity:
#1 Meditate.  Listen to that inner voice.  It may not inspire you to get on your feet and create a massive work of art immediately but it will jolt you into thinking about what you think is beautiful and what you really love.  When you appreciate the beautiful things in life and have love in your heart you tend to want to celebrate that.  You can do that with art, music, creative writing...ect.
2# Test out new mediums.  Never tried watercolor?  Wish you could sew?  Do it.  Granted not everything will come as second nature but pushing yourself out of your comfort zone often blossoms into self-growth.  Self Growth often develops into wanting to...
#3 Experience new endeavors.  Travel.  Go to a festival for a few days. Climb a mountain.  Go on an epic journey.  This is your life, and there is no time but the present.  Not too many people get inspired by sitting on their butt in their living room for hours.  Perhaps you cannot pack your bags and go to Hawaii immediately due to the responsibilities of life but you can definitely plan for it.   While you wait, why not go for some extra long walks to discover what you've been missing just around the corner.
#4 Talk one on one with people.  No, do not sit next to your friend while you continue to tweet them.  Have a real conversation with someone complete with facial expressions, annoyed sighs, and heartfelt pats on the back.  What does that have to do with being creative?  Love.  Love shows what makes you tick.  When you figure that out you'll know what kind of art styles you enjoy,  the mediums that express that best for you, and who your target audience will be.
5# The hardest of all...Stay off the computer for a while!!  I know many who admit it becomes an addiction.  It's merely something to occupy the mind with and when your mind is always occupied with nonsense like Suzy's cheeseburger she posted a picture of, and Miley Cyrus's video of twerking your brain cannot feel too inspired to do too much at all.  Well except for getting yourself a cheeseburger!  Hopefully you won't be twerking when you order that.  For Pete's sake, lay off the computer!!
On a personal note, I realize that times are changing.  Sometimes folks don't want  to be different at all.  They actually go and search for the fads.  There are also those who just create things to sell just because they know there is a target audience of people that would buy something they can easily make.  I feel torn about this.  We all need to make a living somehow and over all, handmade is always better.  When I break it down, however, one of the reasons I enjoy handmade things is because I hoped that when it was created it came from the person's heart.  I'm not down with the creative sell outs.  Actually, drop the creative...these people are not any better than a factory workers.  Cranking out items just for a profit with no thought, emotion,  or attachment just isn't for me.  If you participate in this type of behavior I hope someday you do find something that lets your soul sing.  In the meantime I don't think it's fair to call yourself an Artist at all.  You are just a replicator.  Think out of the box, not in it.  Peace friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment